Creating a Pokeball

 I got Inspired from Playing the new Pokémon game: Pokémon Violet

I wake up this morning with the idea of creating a poke ball with Maya, My goal is to learn how to create Stylized Textures and i really wanted to have a model to practise.

The poke ball is a simple 3D Mesh that I can create easily with the use of Maya.

I just don't want to limit myself just with a simple mesh so I decided to make to open and created a design inside the model.

I found a reference in Google for the inside of a Poke ball


I opened the model and started Building the inside of the Mesh from scratch adding different layers so that the Model was Clean and easy to understand.

I want something to hold the Model in place inside my game, so i went around google for a quick search and found an example of a Holder.


I created the Holder in Maya.

The Model Now is completed and Ready for some details and Texturing.

I then exported Pokeball_Base, this is the simple version of the poke ball that I created, because I wanted to practise stylized texturing with Substance Painter.

Then I Duplicated the Mesh and created a high version of It with the smooth tool.


The Mesh once is smoothed it will look like this:

After Smoothing the Mesh I created the UV maps, I created various versions of the model in case I needed to go back. 

I made sure to have a Low Poly and a High Poly version for my model. Then i exported them both


I imported the Low poly version in Substance Painter 3D 

I went into the Baking section in Substance and started baking the model.

This is how the Low poly looks after I baked the high Poly mesh into it

Then I applied some basic texture.

I then add some effects and fixed the Textures to make it a bit cooler.


I wasn't very happy of how simple this model looked. so I decided to make so reaserches on a different version of the model and I found an open version.

I found some other references


To recreate the model it was quite simple procedure. All I had to do was to adjust the angle and modify the internal part of the Pokeball.


Then I created the high poly version of the model in Maya


Now I can bake the high poly into the low poly and apply the textures again.


I posted the open version of the Pokeball in my sketchfab.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coral Cove

3D Weapon Workflow

The Laboratory Game Mechanics