MechJam v0.1

10th Percent Studios

The last few months I had the opportunity to be in contact and work with graduated students from my course.

We worked together to accomplish a few games using the game jam guidelines and deadline.

It all started from a few phone calls and then we created a small discord server and worked on couple of games.

New Project

These are the steps we took as a group:

  • Brainstorm (writing down - drawings)
  • Idea (vision of the game, theme, look, feel)
  • Research 
  • Reference (source materials,)
  • Task (what each one of us have to do)
  • Management (files, projects, models)
  • Completed Project (finished game)
At first we discuss the idea and look around for inspiration and discuss as a team. while working on a specific game jam, we try to incorporate new visions and settings for the fictional world that we have in mind.

As for me, I create vision boards on Pinterest for the style and details of the various 3D assets that may be necessary for the game. 

Mech Jam

The MechJam is an interesting challenge that forces us to make a game and incorporate a mech.


Recently a new Game Jam appeared in the website, intrigued I had a look at the trailer.

I felt really inspirited on participating on this Game Jam.


We have 1 week to get the game completed and playable.


Mechs

I previously had an idea on created a FPS shooter arena with robots, I'll try evolving from that ideas and making something smaller but more compact and playable.

Time limit is a big factor, I won't be able to have high detailed models, I need to work on simple but effective models for the mechs and weapons.

The mechs have to be simple. 


Examples of simple mechs

I found also a cool game called AirMech Strike and AirMech Wastelands with interesting designs for the robot.





Arena


The mechs needs a place to roam and fight.

maps are inspired by unreal tournament and halo maps.



The map should be traversable and allows the player for cover, it rewards skills and knowledge of the surrounding.











Blackout examples for the arena










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coral Cove

3D Weapon Workflow

The Laboratory Game Mechanics